Fort Portal Car Rental, Hire A Car from Fort Portal in Uganda
Looking for Car Hire Deals in Fort portal? Uganda Car Rental Brings to you the Best Car Rental Deals for Independent Holiday Makers that wish to visit Kibale National Park for Memorable Journeys in Uganda.
Fort Portal lies in the northern foothills of the Rwenzori Mountains, 300km west of Kampala and 50km north of Kasese town in western Uganda. Fort Portal town is one of the most attractive towns in Uganda and has several landmarks like hotels, banks, restaurants, golf course and many more
It is the only town in Uganda with an English name Fort Portal and the town was named after the British Consul General of Zanzibar, Sir Gerald Portal, who came in Uganda in 1890s to formalize British protectorate ship over Uganda. Fort Portal town is the seat of both Kabarole district and Tororo Palace, built in the 1960s.
Many travelers stay overnight in this small, quiet and pleasant town in the northern end of the Rwenzori Mountains, en route to Murchison Falls national Park. Others use it as the base from which to explore Semliki Valley and the Kibale Forest Primate Reserve. Though not as convenient as Kasese, it is also possible to organize a trek in the mountains from here. Other attractions include, the hot springs in Semliki Valley and pygmy villages.
Attractions & activities in fort portal include;
- The beautiful Toro Palace. The palace lies on the hill above the town. It was restored by Libyan government following the rooting and destruction in 1960s, when Kingdoms where abolished in Uganda by Obote government.
- Sir Gerald Portal statue which lies at the main road of the town
- Karambi Tombs: The Karambi Tombs are the burial grounds of Omukama Kasagama & Rukidi III. They are located 5km out of the town on the Kasese Road
- Fort Portal town is the gateway to the Rwenzori Mountains which are viewed from most corners of the town. Kibale, Queen Elizabeth, Semliki Valley National Park lie are few hours drive away from the town centre. Excursions to these parks can be arranged by Uganda Car Rental , a local tour operator based in Kampala Uganda
- Tours to crater lakes, caves (Amabere Caves) & waterfalls around Fort Portal town. These can be arranged by
- Toro golf course & Toro Botanical Gardens
Fort Portal town has branches for most banks in Kampala, like
- Crane Bank
- Barclays Bank
- Equity Bank
- Kenya Commercial Bank
- Post Bank Uganda
- Stanbic Bank
- United Bank for Africa and Bank of Uganda.
Micro finance banks also operate in this amazing town, these include; Pride Micro finance Ltd & Uganda Finance Trust Ltd.
Please Note That Barclays & Stanbic banks provide foreign exchange services. ATM’s operate 24hours. Restaurants & bars
Fort Portal Town has got several restaurants which serve decent meals. Below is a list of restaurants to eat at in Fort Portal.
- Rwenzori Travelers Inn,
- Don Plaza,
- Pierre Pizzeria,
- Momo Tea Room,
- Mesh Bar & Glue Pot Bar
The town has got several shopping points scattered along the main road. The most popular is Andrew supermarket which stocks a wide range of local & imported food & drinks. Local handicrafts and souvenirs shops are also located along the Fort-Portal – Kampala Road.
Heartbeat disco (Rumandika Road) & Club Ecstasy (Bwamba Road) are the only two night clubs in Fort Portal.
Distance between Kampala and fort portal
The Distance between Kampala and Fort Portal (Kabarole) is: 259.07 kilometers (km).
Looking for one way Car Rental services in Uganda from Kampala to Fort portal we have the best services, Try Renting a car from Uganda car Rental and travel Happier Look at the economy Car Rental Fleets and Book it Today with Uganda Car Rental.